Welcome to the Funk Lab

We strive to understand the evolutionary and ecological mechanisms that generate and maintain biological diversity using population genomics, experimental manipulations, and field studies. Our goal is to not only test basic evolutionary and ecological theory, but also directly inform policy and management decisions that will ultimately determine the fate of biodiversity.

Archive

Categories

W. Chris Funk

Chris’ favorite research activity: snorkeling in the gorgeous streams of the Pacific Northwest.

My research group strives to understand the evolutionary and ecological mechanisms that generate and maintain biodiversity and how rapid global change affects these processes. I address questions by integrating population genomics, quantitative field methods, experiments, and computational analysis in a variety of taxonomic groups (amphibians, fish, birds, mammals, and insects).

In addition to my interest in basic questions in evolutionary genomics, an important part of my research program applies population genetic concepts and new genomic tools to address conservation questions. Population genetics and genomics are invaluable in conservation and management for the delineation of conservation units, determining patterns of genetic connectivity across landscapes, and assessing the status and viability of threatened species. A major focus of my research program is the application of population genetics and genomics to address critical questions for biodiversity conservation.