Up until 2019, Dr. Crans had published 201 peer-reviewed manuscripts with an H-index of 56 and >8000 citations. Links to our open-access articles are provided.
Prior to 2015 ,Dr. Crans had published 175 peer reviewed manuscripts that can be found through the link.
In 2013, papers from Dr. Crans’ lab have had an editorial in Dalton Transactions (DaltonTrans 2013,42, p11744) and featured on the cover of The New Journal of Chemistry (Lemons2013NJCVO2Catecholate) and The Journal of Organic Chemistry!
The goddess Vanadis is shown with her hair in the shapes of protein parts of regulatory phosphatases symbolizing the complexities of mode of action of vanadium compounds. Vanadium-based antidiabetic agents are reviewed in terms of their chemical and physical properties and how structure is associated with function. The inhibition of protein phosphatase takes center stage because of the transition-state inhibitory effects of vanadates and organic vanadates and their resulting antidiabetic effects. Dr. Crans is the recipient of the 2015 Cope Scholar Award. Cover reported December 18, 2015 for the Journal of Organic chemistry (American Chemical Society). Painting by Kaitlin Doucette.
212. “Location of menaquinone and menaquinol headgroups in model membranes” Cameron Van Cleave, Heide A. Murakami, Nuttaporn Samart, Jordan T. Koehn, Pablo Maldonado, Jr., Heidi D. Kreckel, Elana J. Cope, Andrea Basile, Dean C. Crick, Debbie C. Crans. Can. J. Chem., 2020, 98(6), pp 307-317.
211. “Initiation of a novel mode of membrane signaling: Vanadium facilitated signal transduction” Nuttaporn Samart, Duaa Althumairy, Dongmei Zhang, Deborah A. Roess, Debbie C. Crans. Coord. Chem. Rev., 2020, 416, article 213286.
210. “Application of HPLC to measure vanadium in environmental, biological and clinical matrices” Iman Boukhobza and Debbie C. Crans. Arab. J. Chem., 2020, 13(1), pp 1198-1228.
209. “Effects of vanadium(IV) compounds on plasma membrane lipids lead to G protein-coupled receptor signal transduction” Duaa Althumairy, Heide A. Murakami, Dongmei Zhang, B. George Barisas, Deborah A. Roess, Debbie C. Crans. J. Bioinorg. Chem., 2020, 203, article 110873.
208. “Coordination Chemistry of a Controlled Burst of Zn2+ in Bulk Aqueous and Nanosized Water Droplets with a Zincon Chelator” Cheryle N. Beuning, Noah E. Barkley, Prem N. Basa, Shawn C. Burdette, Nancy E. Levinger, Debbie C. Crans. Inorg. Chem., 2019, 59(1), pp 184-188.
207. “Vanadium science: chemistry, catalysis, materials, biological and medicinal studies” Debbie C. Crans, Dinorah Gambino, Susana B. Etcheverry. New J. Chem., 2019.
206. “The First-Row Transition Metals in the Periodic Table of Medicine” Cameron Van Cleave and Debbie C. Crans. Inorganics, 2019, 7(9), article 111. https://doi.org/10.3390/inorganics7090111
205. “Speciation and toxicity of rhenium salts, organometallics and coordination complexes” Allison A. Haase, Elisabeth B. Bauer, Fritz E. Kühn, Debbie C. Crans. Coord. Chem. Rev., 2019, 394, pp 135-161.
204. “Organometallic and coordination rhenium compounds and their potential in cancer therapy” Elisabeth B. Bauer, Allison A. Haase, Debbie C. Crans, Fritz E. Kühn. Coord. Chem. Rev., 2019, 394, pp 79-117.
203. “A Transition-State Perspective on Y-Family DNA Polymerase eta Fidelity in Comparison with X-Family DNA polymerases lambda and beta” Keriann Oertell, Jan Florian, Pouya Haratipour, Debbie C. Crans, Boris A. Kashemirov, Samuel H. Wilson, Charles E. McKenna, Myron F. Goodman. Biochemistry, 2019, 58(13), pp 1764-1773.
202. “Hydrophobicity May Enhance Membrane Affinity and Anti-Cancer Effects of Schiff Base Vanadium (V) Catecholate Complexes” Debbie C. Crans, Jordan T. Koehn, Stephanie M. Petry, Caleb M. Glover, Asanka Wijetunga, Ravider Kaur, Aviva Levina, and Peter A. Lay. Dalton Trans., 2019, 48, 6383-6395. (Featured on the inside back cover of Dalton Transactions, vol 48)
201. “Investigating Substrate Analogs for Mycobacterial MenJ: Truncated and Partially Saturated Menaquinones” Jordan T. Koehn, Cheryle N. Beuning, Benjamin J. Peters, Sara K. Dellinger, Cameron Van Cleave, Dean C. Crick, and Debbie C. Crans. Biochemistry, 2019, 58(12), pp 1596-1615. Featured in Biochemistry Newsflash.
200. “Decavanadate Inhibits Mycobacterial Growth More Potently Than Other Oxovanadates” Nuttaporn Samart, Zeyad Arhoums, Santosh Kumar, Heide A. Murakami, Dean C. Crick, and Debbie C. Crans. Frontiers in Chemistry, 2018.
199. “Synthesis and Characterization of Partially and Fully Saturated Menaquinone Derivatives” Jordan T. Koehn, Dean C. Crick, Debbie C. Crick. ACS Omega, 2018, 3 (11), pp 14889-149. https://dx.doi.org/10.1021%2Facsomega.8b02620
198. “Mycobacterial MenJ: An Oxidoreductase Involved in Menaquinone Biosynthesis” Ashutosh Upahyay, Santosh Kumar, Steven A. Rooker, Jordan T. Koehn, Debbie C. Crans, Michael R. McNeil, J. Shaun Lott, Dean C. Crick. ACS Chemical Biology, 2018, 13 (9), pp 2498-2507.
197. “Coordination environment changes of the vanadium in vanadium-dependent haloperoxidase enzymes” Craig C. McLauchlan, Heide A. Murakami, Craig A. Wallance, and Debbie C. Crans. J. Inorg. Biochem., 2018, 186, pp 267-279.
196. “Structure Dependence of Pyridine and Benzene Derivatives on Interactions with Model Membranes” Benjamin J. Peters, Cameron Van Cleave, Allison A. Haase, John Peter B. Hough, Keisha A. Giffen-Kent, Gabriel M. Cardiff, Audra Goach Sostarecz, Dean C. Crick, and Debbie C. Crans. Langmuir, 2018, 34 (30), pp 8939-8951.
195. “Probing of ferrocenylanilines on model micelle/reverse micelle membrane and their enhanced reactivity for reactive oxidants” Ataf A. Altaf, Amin Badshah, Bahjan Lal, Shahzad Murtaza, Pabitra B. Chatterjee, Kamran Akbar, and Debbie C. Crans. Appl. Organometal Chem. 2018, 32:e4334.
194. “Measurement of Interpeptidic Cu(II) Exchange Rate Constants by Static Fluorescence Quenching of Tryptophan” Cheryle N. Beuning, Béatrice Mestre-Voegtlé, Peter Faller, Christelle Hureau, and Debbie C. Crans. Inorg. Chem., 2018, 57 (9), pp 4791-4794.
193. “A Synthetic Isoprenoid Lipoquinone, Menaquinone-2, Adopts a Folded Conformation in Solution and at a Model Membrane Interface” Jordan T. Koehn, Estela S. Magallanes, Benjamin J. Peters, Cheryle N. Beuning, Allison A. Haase, Michelle J. Zhu, Christopher D. Rithner, Dean C. Crick, and Debbie C. Crans. J. Org. Chem., 2018, 83 (1), pp 275–288.
192. “Multi-modal Potentiation of Oncolytic Virotherapy by Vanadium Compounds” Mohammed Selman, Christopher Rousso, Anabel Bergeron, Hwan Hee Son, Ramya Krishnan, Nader A. El-Sayes, Oliver Varette, Andrew Chen, Fabrice Le Boeuf, Fanny Tzelepis, John C. Bell, Debbie D. Crans, and Jean-Simon Diallo. Molecular Therapy, 2018, 26 (1), pp 56-69.
191. “Confinement Effects of Chemical Equilibira: Pentacyano(Pyrazine)Ferrate(II) Stability Changes within Nanosized Droplets of Water” Teofilo Borunda, Alexander J. Meyers, Mary J. Fisher, Debbie C. Crans, and Michael D. Johnson. Molecules, 2018, 23 (4), pp 858-872.
190. “Speciation of metal drugs, supplements and toxins and bodily fluid controls in vitro” Aviva Levina, Debbie C. Crans, Peter A. Lay. Coord. Chem. Rev., 2017, 352, pp 473-498.
189. “Does anion-cation organization in Na+containing X-ray crystal structures relate to solution interactions in inhomogeneous nanoscale environments: Sodium-decavanadate in solid state materials, minerals, and microemulsions” Debbie C. Crans, Benjamin J. Peters, Xiao Wu, and Craig C. McLaughlan. Coord. Chem Rev., 2017, 344, pp 115-130.
188. “Selenium speciation in the Fountain Creek Watershedand its effects on fish diversity” James S. Carsella, Igor Melnykov, Sandra J. Bonetti, Irma Sánchez-Lombardo, and Debbie C. Crans. J. Biol. Inorg. Chem., 2017, 22 (5), pp 751-763.
187. “Selenium Speciation in the Fountain Creek Watershed (Colorado, USA) Correlates with Water Hardness, Ca and Mg Levels” James S. Carsella, Irma Sánchez-Lombardo, Sandra J. Bonetti, and Debbie C. Crans. Molecules, 2017, 22 (5), pp 708.
186. “Selective speciation improves efficacy and lowers toxicity of platinum anticancer and vanadium antidiabetic drugs” Kaitlin A. Doucette, Kelly N. Hassell, and Debbie C. Crans. J. Inorg. Biochem., 2016, 165, pp 56-70.
185. “Differences in Interactions of Benzoic Acid and Benzoate with Interfaces” Benjamin J. Peters, Allison S. Groninger, Fabio L. Fontes, Dean C. Crick, and Debbie C. Crans. Langmuir, 2016, 32 (37), pp 9451-9459.
184. “Multinuclear NMR studies of aqueous Vanadium-HEDTA Complexes” Xiao Wu, Benjamin J. Peters, Christopher D. Rithner and Debbie C. Crans. Polyhedron, 2016, 114, pp 325-332.
183. “How Interfaces Affect the Acidity for the Anilinium Ion” Jarukorn Sripradite, Susanne Miller, Michael D. Johnson, Anan Tongraar, and Debbie C. Crans. Chem. Eur. J., 2016, 22, pp 3873-3880.
182. “Size and shape trump charge in interactions of oxovanadates with self-assembled interfaces: Application of Continuous Shape Measure analysis to the decavanadate anion” Irma Sánchez-Lombardo, Bharat Baruah, Santiago Alvarez, Katarina R. Werst, Nicole A. Segaline, Nancy E. Levinger and Debbie C. Crans. New J. Chem., 2016, 40, pp 962-975.
181. “Antidiabetic, chemical and physical properties of organic vanadates as presumed transition state inhibitors for phosphatases” Debbie C. Crans. J. Org. Chem. 2015, 80 (24), pp 11899-11915. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.joc.5b02229. This article was featured on the cover.
180. “MenI, a novel menaquinone reductase in Mycobacterium tuberculosis is required for survival in macrophages,” Ashutosh Upadhyay, Fabio Fontes, Mercedes Gonzalez-Juarrero, Michael R. McNeil, Debbie C. Crans, Mary Jackson, and Dean C. Crick. ACS Central Science, 2015, 1, pp 292-302.
179. “Vanadium-protein complexes: Phosphatase inhibitors favor the trigonal bipyramidal transition state geometries,” Craig C. McLauchlan, Benjamin J. Peters, Gail R. Willsky, and Debbie C. Crans. Coord. Chem. Rev., 2015, 301-302, pp 163-199. The article is featured on the Cover.
178. “High-frequency and -field electron paramagnetic resonance of vanadium(IV, III, and II) complexes,” Jurek Krzystek, Andrew Ozarowski, Joshua Telser, and Debbie C. Crans. Coord. Chem. Rev., 2015, 301-302, pp 123-133.
177. “Evaluating transition state structures of vanadium-phosphatase protein complexes using shape analysis,” Irma Sanchez-Lombardo, Santiago Alvarez, Craig C. McLauchlan, and Debbie C. Crans. J. Inorg. Biochem. 2015, 147, pp 153-164.
176. “NMR crystallography for structural characterization of oxovanadium(V) complexes: Deriving coordination geometry and detecting weakly coordinated ligands at atomic resolution in the solid state,” Mingyue Li, Jenna Yehl, Guangjin Hou, Pabitra B. Chatterjee, Amir Goldbourt, Debbie C. Crans, and Tatyana Polenova. Inorg. Chem., 2015, 54, pp 1363-1374.